The selection panel is made up of dance professionals from all states and territories. They represent the dance sector and include teachers, independent artists, dance company directors, writers/critics, administrators and youth dance specialists. Members serve a 3–4 year term.
Invite the selection panel to your performance
Panel members try to see all performances in their state. To invite them, send an invitation to the nominations coordinator who will forward it to panel members. Australian dance companies can ask for a copy of the contact list.
The voting process
A thorough voting system is in place, with two, sometimes three rounds of voting.
The long list
- Nominations are open to the public
- The selection panel considers all eligible nominations and your supporting comments.
- The selection panel reads biographies of nominees for lifetime achievement, services to dance and services to education to make a well informed decision about who makes it into the shortlist.
- They view video excerpts of nominated works.
- Each panel member rates their top four in each category by allocating 4 points for first place, 3 points for second place etc.
- If the scores for the winners are even or very close, the panel consults with the advisors until there is a majority agreement.
If a member of the selection panel is nominated for an award, they are excluded from voting in that category and excluded from any discussion about that category.
Members of the selection panel are volunteers.